Inspiring starfish poem from childhood



I am not feeling to great today. I do not know if it's a cold or what, so I sat all morning and read a lot of blogs. I found on one of those blogs, a poem that I was told when I was in my very Catholic elementary school. I remember this poem meaning a lot to me and a few of my friends who I am still close with today. I feel that it is a great way to live your life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 




“One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.
Approaching the boy, he asked, ‘What are you doing?’
The youth replied, ‘Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.’
‘ Son,’ the man said, ‘don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can’t make a difference!’
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, 
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…‘I made a difference for that one.’"

This Starfish Story was found in ”Star Thrower,”
a collection of essays by the naturalist and writer
Loren Eiseley 1978